Packing tips for large items
Packing large items of furniture such as beds, sofas, tables, or china cabinets can be tricky as they are large and often heavy items. To prevent damage they need to be protected with proper packaging so they arrive at your destination in the same condition they left.
What you need:
- Bubble wrap.
- Plastic stretch wrap.
- Cardboard sheets.
- Sealable plastic bags.
- Furniture blankets.
- Sofa and mattress covers.
- Packing tape.
- Old blankets or towels.
What to do:
- Create a list of what furniture you are packing.
- Clean your furniture before you start packing.
- Take out items you have stored in dressers, china cabinets, or cupboards.
- Disassemble any pieces that can be taken apart, such as sofa or table legs and dining room table leafs.
- Wrap these parts and store away in labelled boxes. Place any screws, nuts, and bolts in sealable plastic bags and tape these bags to the main piece or place them in the boxes with the appropriate parts.
- When packing furniture use plenty of tape or string to ensure that they won’t slip off and expose your furniture.
- Glass tabletops should be covered in packing paper and placed in telescoping cardboard boxes. If you don’t have these materials, use old blankets or towels to wrap your tabletops in.
- Mattresses and sofas can be packed in specially made plastic covers, which will protect them from rips, stains, and moisture. Use plastic shrink wrap for protecting these items.
- Once your furniture is properly disassembled and wrapped up, you can begin loading your pieces onto the truck.
By properly wrapping and packing them, though, you can at least prevent any unnecessary damage. Following the tips in this guide can help ensure the safety and good condition of your furniture during the move – or use the packing service provided by Ballarat Moving and Storage.